Sunday 6 September 2009

Hungry Ghostbusters


Ghosts – and ravenous ones at that – have been swarming round Hong Kong recently. It’s the annual Hungry Ghost Festival, which one friend succinctly described as “Chinese Halloween”. People burn paper money and goods to pass onto their ancestors in the afterlife. And they do this on the street. In a bucket. Turns out the people I saw weren’t mad tramps after all, but respectful citizens.

Shops in Sheung Wan do a roaring trade selling replica cardboard products for budding pyromaniacs – Sony tvs, mini BMWs, Vertu mobile phones, Louis Vuitton bags – you name it, they’ve got a paper version of it. I actually had to fight the urge to buy the replica LV with the intention of passing it off as a super limited edition bag from Hong Kong.

Another friend wagged her finger at me, warning me (a) not to steal the fruit offerings left out on the pavement and (b) not to flick my cigarette butt into one of the metal buckets used for the mini bonfire. Who? Me? As if I would…

2 comments:

  1. i like your blogs, they're nicely written, and intriguing. keep on writing. i don't have a blog of my own, maybe soon. my band just got a blog though if you're interested...http://theladysails.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course Holly would not throw cigarette ends into the bucket,...just used face tissue & perhaps the odd choc. wrapping !

    ReplyDelete